Sunday, February 18, 2024

Shattered Coast Report - The Miners of Redhorn

*A report submitted to Bastion's branch of the Thug's Guild*

Job: Independent Op

Submitting Goon: Frankie (no last name)

Nickname: Little

I responded to a request for support from a mine owner named Ned Holly. He had requested help getting his miners to go back to work since they had been getting "superstitious" recently and productivity was going down. Probably just gotta crack some heads, should have been a simple job. It kinda was, in some ways.

I set out with Xi, a handsome lady who said she’s a Chinese Princess (she looks it, if you know what I mean) and a “conceptual engineer” named Monica, who seemed all business.

We made it to the mine. It's up in this weird place I don't really get (everyone tried to explain it but it went over my head) but I guess stuff here vanished and different stuff comes back. A tough place to make a living, for sure.

We met up with Ned who gave us the lowdown. I still don't really get it, but some bodies were showing up while they were mining, but they were the bodies of people who were working in the camp. They were doubles or something, I don't know. We heard a warning call go out while he was talking and Xi rushed out to see what was happening.

We followed Xi to a newly uncovered body, and it was the corpse of Monica, who was alive beside us.

We did some more digging (heh) around. We talked to the fire elementals who were helping with the job. They didn't like their boss much but they loved blowing up one of my tallboys. Good lads. They couldn't talk like regular people but they tried to show us with their hands what had been happening. I didn't really get it, but Monica and Xi seemed to.

We talked with a few other people, a manager among the miners named Olive. She explained some stuff to us after we paid for her food. She had another miner, Eggy, get some supplies ready for us in case we went down into the mining tunnels.

We went over to a shrine from the priest who used to live here, and I gave it one of my favorite "once overs". We found a journal with some missing pages, and we pegged ol' Ned as the one who was keeping secrets from us (those Fire guys really seemed to think he was behind everything).

My mates distracted Ned while I entered his cabin and started tearing apart the place. I was only a few minutes in when he came in to see what was happening. I shoved the missing diary pages in his face and he told us they were reports from the priest addressed to him. He didn't steal nothing. I apologized to him, I gave him a beer and Monica fixed his broken drawer and we went on our business.

Next Monica went and investigated the bodies. We recognized one as Eggy and one as Ned Holly. Monica kinda sat and poked at one for awhile (it looked just like that bloke Eggy). She did.......something (She said she "extracted" "circularity" from it, whatever that means.) When we went back to talk to Olive, she was surprised we knew who Eggy was, as he had died a week and a half ago from a cave-in.

I don't fully remember what we did next. We talked for awhile (Well, Monica talked. I listened.) We talked to the fire elementals a few more time. I gave them one of my last remaining cigarettes from the old world. Those were good dudes. I held up my lantern at one and he gave me a little buddy, a little mini-it. A good boy.

Monica came up with a plan to fix all of this and still get paid. She taught the lantern to count using candles, and told Xi and I to rob poor Ned when the timer was just about over. I ended up ambushing Ned using a smoke grenade and something Monica gave me to help see through it and tied him up using Xi's crazy hair (I couldn't break it, strongest rope I've ever seen. Gotta ask her for more sometime). He started throwing fire at me but I held him down. Xi extracted the chest from his room. I didn't see what happened but the whole cabin started on fire. Monica was doing her "extracting" business on the double of Ned this whole time. The lantern was timed to go off when she was done with her business. Right when it was about to happen, I sprinted away from him like Monica told me to.

Ned vanished, and the mine was suddenly empty. There was nothing there but a run down camp. Looked like it hadn't been touched for weeks.

We used his keys to get our pay from the bank back in Bastion. We walked out of there with a pretty penny. I got paid. I don't know if we really did what we said we were gonna do, but what's why you gotta go with the guild for operations like this. We got insurance against beating up the boss and taking your pay right from him, you know?

- LF

————

My first adventure after my return to the Shattered Coast GLOG server, which is an open-table and kind of wild mix of whatever people want to run or play, all within a simple ruleset. 

I played my new character, Little Frankie, a Thug (imagine a rando baddie in a bond movie who gets hit in the face a lot, who's now stuck in a slightly gonzo fantasy realm, which conveniently has a Thug's guild branch. That's Frankie)

I had a blast (although I played in an adventure earlier in the day and doing two a day is a recipe for a migraine or me).

This was such a neat adventure. I had been talking with Vivanter about playing more low-combat scenarios, since most adventures run in the server the tend to be pretty combat heavy, and this was exactly what I wanted.

The premise felt like a Junji Ito story. I really dug it, and I really dug our ‘solution’. It's maybe not clear from my rundown exactly what happened, and I definitely left out details. We definitely didn't understand the full story by the end, but we knew enough. I'm happy with the mystery being preserved. The details of exactly how it went down should die with us. It just feels right that way.

What I didn’t like about it more have to do with the rule-set than the adventure. I don’t having DC type checks in what is supposed to be an OSR-type game. Common ability checks are 10 on a d20+ability modifier. I haven’t checked the math but it seems harder to pass a test with this math (given your stats end up not mattering that much) than with a under-ability-score roll ala B/X. It’s also one of the main tools in the game, so it gets used a lot.

Notably I really don’t like charisma checks. I think it’s not great to depend on a player’s ability to hold a functioning conversation or to be convincing irl and that be the only way you ‘check’ their ability to be charismatic, but also I don’t think they should so random if you roll them. I really like reaction rolls, that 2d6 is just such a nice curve, and most of the time they don’t hate you. Rolling snake eyes is a special case.

Besides that though, the adventure was great. We shared tools and strategies, really had to depend on our wits to figure out what was going on, and seemingly really had a good way to completely delete our characters from existence (if we were to have gone down the mining tunnels, we probably wouldn't have made it back. Existence seemed fucky in there), which what more can you ask for?

Other little things:

- using the smoke grenade and ampule from Monica and the hair cuffs from Xi along with Frankie’s ‘Tying them up’ skill was executed flawlessly and I think it’s the sign of a good gm when you are allowed to have your well-planned plans execute smoothly. Ned stood no chance. 

- Loved the fire elementals. I ended up giving the lantern to Xi, which is now a magic item in itself, because the upkeep seemed to expensive for a brand new character on the block. 

- The conceptual engineer class seems awesome and incredibly difficult to gm for and Vivanter didn’t seem to blink when it came to us re-writing timelines using it. 

- Loving the Thug class obviously. It’s so much fun to play. I was originally going to do this other class from the same post but Thug really spoke to me. My goal was to find a glog class that would be effective for investigation-type missions (or hexcrawls, if I could find one) and the Thug fits that great. I’ll probably avoid the exotic weapon proficiency. I already have a character on the server who exists just to kick ass, I don’t need a second. 

- My two thug abilities are: 

✧ Your training has given you a distinctive way of moving. If you choose, shopkeepers, street urchins and other minor NPCs immediately recognize you as someone who could beat them up. Morale rolls are made with a penalty equal to the difference between your level and the NPC's HD (minimum -0).

✧ When you take ten minutes to search a room, you can choose to search it very thoroughly (heh heh). This is a loud process and will alert anyone else in the building or cause an immediate wandering monster encounter. At the end of this thorough search, you will have discovered every secret door, revealed every trap, and piled up anything even vaguely saleable in a heap on the floor. 

 

Thanks for reading! <3

1 comment:

Phaedra - Session 2

Cast of Characters: A: Phalecia, low born cleric of Hekate (Cleric 1) Ct: Theoden, coked-out wizard (Magic-User 1) Ds: Gymothy, thief (Thief...